Thursday, February 7, 2013

I Blame Dori - The Hobbit

 **SPOILER WARNING!**


I had been planning to read the Hobbit for a while, but never really got the chance. With the movie coming out and Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman starring as Smaug** and Bilbo, respectively, I had to read it. I really, really had to, I'm not one to watch the movie first if there is a book that I can read, especially if I know about it. So here I am, passionate about the Hobbit and I completely blame Dori. And not because Dori is my favorite dwarf, or that I think he said this really cool line that got me hooked, no, that isn't it. In fact, I kind of hate Dori in some respect, not that he could help it, but he was the one who picked up Bilbo in the goblins' cave so that they could go faster. Of course, Bilbo proves later on that they need him, not the other way around. If Dori had just let Bilbo run, there wouldn't be a problem. When Dori fell, Bilbo got a concussion, was left in the dark and found the ring. The ring that corrupted Gollum and has the power to corrupt many more. If Dori hadn't picked Bilbo up, then none of this would have happened.

Some would argue. Many would argue. They would say that it was fate for Bilbo to find the ring, but I don't agree. Fate already had it in for Gollum, Gollum was the one who killed his own family for the ring. That was fate. It was fate for Bilbo to be an adventurer, he's Tookish for goodness' sake! But he was not in anyway destined to find the ring. His destiny was to be a leader among adventurers, as shown wit the dwarves, and I am certain he could have made do without the ring. 

But the ring did provide something for him, for them all, in the beginning that they would have been sorry without. Without the ring, Bilbo couldn't have escaped the cave, he wouldn't have defeated the goblins, they wouldn't have gotten away from the spiders, and Smaug might as well have just cooked Bilbo on a spit. But that doesn't mean that they needed the ring, in fact, it goes to show how evil it is. The ring was only able to make Bilbo invisible, of course, but it also lead him to a higher power, it helped him become a larger, more important man than who he used to be. The ring used him, and without Dori doing what he did, the ring never would have found its way onto Bilbo's finger.

So perhaps some may think that it was fate for Bilbo to find the ring, for it to help him and make him a greater leader, and adventurer. It helped him find true love in the end, Froto even comes from the ring! But the ring still caused terrible wrath, anger, and many sinful qualities and used its power to  make a more powerful medium for putting its power into the world. I'm just sitting here with my book waiting for Dori to suffer for this.

**Edit: So, apparently there are two more Hobbit films to be released, and Cumberbatch has two roles in the film, Smaug and the necromancer, Sauron, who created the ring. So far, only Sauron has appeared in the Hobbit films. Smaug will appear later. I still read it. And loved it. And cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment